Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to bring to my tax appointment?



* Social Security numbers for yourself, your spouse, and any dependents.

• Forms W-2 from all employers are required for yourself and your spouse. 

• Forms 1099 for Dividends, Retirement, or other income, or any Forms 1099 with Income Tax Withholding.

• Proof of Health Insurance.

• Receipts for expenses for Itemized Deductions (Schedule A). 

• Receipts and records for other income or expenses. 

• Bank Account numbers (for a fast refund, or to pay electronically).

• Prior year Adjusted Gross Income amount or prior year PIN if using a Self-Select PIN as your signature.

Does health care reform still impact my taxes?


 With tax reform enacted at the end of 2017 there have been questions around the requirements to have health care coverage.  Changes to health care as a result of the new tax law do not begin until 2019. Beginning in 2019 taxpayers will no longer be required to pay a tax penalty for not having health insurance. Individuals with income over the federal poverty level are still required to have 2018 health care coverage or they may be subject to a tax penalty when they file their 2018 taxes.  All of the exemptions (based on income, religious beliefs, and citizenship) are still in place. 

Who can I claim as a dependent?



Your significant other is probably many things to you—but is he or she also a tax deduction? The question of who you can claim as a dependent has confused taxpayers for years.

The short answer: You can claim a “qualifying child” or “qualifying relative” if they meet specific requirements related to residence, relationship to you, age, financial support provided and income. So,  yes, you may be able to claim a girlfriend, boyfriend, domestic partner or friend as a qualifying relative in some cases. Claiming dependents can also make you eligible for other tax benefits like the New Other Dependent Credit and the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC).

You may be able to take New Other Dependent Credit worth $500 if:

  • You are providing support for a non-child dependent like another family member, boyfriend, girlfriend, domestic partner, or friend.  You can also claim this credit for your kids 17 and over since you cannot claim the Child Tax Credit once they turn 17.
  • They are a member of your household the entire year if they are a non-relative (relatives don’t need to live with you).
  • The relationship between you and the dependent girlfriend/boyfriend does not violate the law, for example, you cannot still be married to someone else. (Also, check regarding your individual state law, as some states do not allow you to claim a boyfriend or girlfriend as a dependent even if your relationship doesn’t violate the law).
  • You meet all the other criteria for “qualifying relatives” (gross income and support).